Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

It's All in the Brine

In my house, we like a good pulled pork sangwich (or sandwich for the grammatically correct.) I tried on numerous occasions to do this in the crockpot after smothering the meat with bottled barbecue sauce. It would cook for hours and I was still unable to shred the meat with forks - yeah I could have said, pulled the meat, but.....shred sounds better! Anyhow, I was really craving pulled pork last fall and I was determined to do it right. I searched the internet and came across this recipe - Perfect Pulled Pork – Slow Roasted, Seasoned & Sa-vor-y!!! Compliments of Kevin and Amanda. This recipe gets a hearty 2 thumbs up in my house - and I believe it's all in the brine and the slow roasting.

Brine Solution
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 qts cold water
3 tbsp dry rub mix
2 bay leaves








Dry Rub
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp ground pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 cup brown sugar




 This is the dry rub when all is mixed together. 

It is very fragrant.











This is my roast after removing from the brine solution and patting dry. 




I used a 4.33 pound boneless.  I like the boneless because I do not have the patience with a bone in.  This does not reduce the cooking time.  I put the pork in at 8 am this morning and took it out of the oven at 6:30 pm.  So it was still 10 and a half hours which is a little more than the 2 hour per pound suggstion.  GET A MEAT THERMOMETOR!  You will be glad you did.


Okay - back to business - this is what your roast should look like after you are done rubbing in the dry rub all over, under, in and out of the meat.   

The image on the left is before going into a 225 degree oven
and the image to the right is out of the oven. 
All yummy and juicy!


This piece of meat literally melted like butta when I started
to shred/pull the pork.  Between the brine and the dry rub, this pulled pork recipe is so full of flavor and pork yumminess.  I will be researching about brining other foods - perhaps a brisket next! 

See how pretty it is all plated?   It was really good.

So, go visit Kevin and Amanda - bookmark this recipe from their site.  You'll be glad you did!








No comments: